Mortgage Daily Logo
mortgage news from industry experts

Mortgage Rates, ARM Indices Fall

Mortgage rates and multiple adjustable-rate mortgage indices moved lower over the past week on global concerns. Rates rose, however, over the past month.

Interest rates on single-family loans with conforming amounts that were used to finance a home purchase averaged 4.64 percent during April.

The average, based on a
small survey conducted by the Federal Housing Finance Agency, escalated by 10 basis points from one month prior.

LendingTree reported that mortgage borrowers saved an average of 62 BPS when they shopped around for a loan in the week ended May 27.

In the seven days that ended May 31, thirty-year fixed rates averaged
4.56 percent in Freddie Mac’s Primary Mortgage Market Survey. Rates tumbled 10 BPS from the preceding week.

“The decline was driven by recent trade and geopolitical issues, which led to a sudden decrease in long-term Treasury yields,” Freddie Mac Chief Economist Sam Khater said in a written statement.

But the average 30 year has surged by 62 BPS during the same-seven days last year.

A plurality of panelists, 38 percent, surveyed by Bankrate.com for the week May 30 to June 5 predicted mortgages rates won’t move more than 2 BPS over the next week. The remaining 62 percent were evenly split over whether rates would rise or fall.

In the U.S. Mortgage Market Index report from Mortgage Daily and OpenClose for the week ended May 25, interest rates on jumbo loans were 6 BPS higher than conforming rates. The spread was slashed from 17 BPS one week previous.

Fifteen-year fixed rates averaged 4.06 percent in Freddie’s survey, a 9-basis-point improvement from the week ended May 24. At 50 BPS, the spread between 15- and 30-year rates thinned from 51 BPS in the last report.

Freddie reported that five-year, Treasury-indexed, hybrid adjustable-rate mortgages averaged 3.80 percent, dropping 7 BPS.

Hybrid ARM rates adjust based on the one-year Treasury yield, which the Treasury Department reported closed at 2.23 percent Thursday, falling 5 BPS from the preceding Thursday.

The six-month London Interbank Offered Rate fell to 2.47 percent Wednesday from 2.50 percent seven days earlier, Bankrate.com reported.

At
1.72 percent as of Wednesday, the Secured Overnight Financing Rate was 5 BPS better than the previous Wednesday, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

Most recently in the Mortgage Market Index report, ARM share was 16.8 percent, not much different than 16.7 percent the prior week.

The 11th District Cost of Funds Index was reported by the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco at 0.895 percent as of April, climbing from 0.814 percent in March.

Popular posts

How Long Does It Take to Refinance a Mortgage
How Long Does It Take to Refinance a Mortgage

So, you’re interested in refinancing your mortgage. Maybe you want some extra capital to do that home project you’ve always dreamed of, interest rates are nearing record lows, or you want to start consolidating debt. Regardless of the motivation behind the refinance,...

How Does Refinancing a Mortgage Work
How Does Refinancing a Mortgage Work

A home purchase is considered an investment, and a robust one at that. Savvy owners are constantly looking for new ways to reduce debt, save money, pay less in interest, and ultimately build equity. Refinancing is one way to leverage your investment and do just that....

What Does It Mean to Refinance Your Home
What Does It Mean to Refinance Your Home

You can think of refinancing your mortgage as a debt redo. Essentially, you’ll swap out the existing loan for a new one - ideally with better terms and conditions. Only this time it could help you save money on high mortgage payments, rather than just borrow it....

Setting up the Utilities in My New House
Setting up the Utilities in My New House

All the tedious, time-consuming home closing documents have been signed, sealed, and delivered. Your belongings are packed into what seems like a million boxes and you have a solid plan to haul all your existing furniture to the new place. Just as your boxes and...

When Is My First Mortgage Payment Due?
When Is My First Mortgage Payment Due?

Navigating your way through a brand new mortgage loan can be a difficult task, especially for first time homeowners. After handing over a large sum of money for the down payment and closing costs, it’s important to pay attention to the timing of your first mortgage...

Newsletter

Don’t worry, we don’t spam

calculate your monthly mortgage payment

Related Topics

Helpful Links

Daily mortgage rate trends

Best mortgage lenders

First-time homebuyers programs by state

Loan limits by state

Types of mortgages

APR vs interest rate

Understanding PMI

Related Posts

THE TRUSTED PROVIDER OF ACCURATE RATES AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION