Mortgage Daily Logo
mortgage news from industry experts

FDIC Sells $1.5 Billion Loan Portfolio

 

FDIC Sells $1.5 Billion Loan PortfolioDiversified Business Strategies, Stearns Bank acquire loans

February 26, 2009

By MortgageDaily.com staff

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation has unloaded a giant portfolio of distressed loans.The bank insurer said today that it closed on a $1.45 billion structured sale of distressed loans to Diversified Business Strategies and Stearns Bank NA.. The portfolio included performing and nonperforming residential and commercial construction loans in distressed markets.

In October 2008, Stearns Bank acquired $343 million in assets of failed Alpha Bank and Trust from the FDIC.

A total of 30 bids were submitted by 18 bidders on the loans. The loans were previously owned by First National Bank of Nevada, which failed in July 2008.

Last month, an investment fund affiliated with Private National Mortgage Acceptance Company LLC announced that it acquired $558 million in First National residential loans from the FDIC.

The deals announced today were done utilizing two “private/public partnership transactions,” the FDIC said. The loans were placed into a limited liability corporation, with the FDIC retaining an 80 percent interest in the assets. The two buyers, which currently hold the other 20 percent ownership, will see their interest rise to 40 percent once certain performance thresholds are met.

“These structured sales utilize the asset management expertise of the private sector, while retaining for the FDIC a participation interest in all future cash flows generated by the workout of the assets over time,” the statement said.

During the past year, the FDIC has sold around $3.2 billion in assets utilizing private/public partnership transactions.

next story

back to current headlines

Popular posts

How Long Does It Take to Refinance a Mortgage
How Long Does It Take to Refinance a Mortgage

So, you’re interested in refinancing your mortgage. Maybe you want some extra capital to do that home project you’ve always dreamed of, interest rates are nearing record lows, or you want to start consolidating debt. Regardless of the motivation behind the refinance,...

How Does Refinancing a Mortgage Work
How Does Refinancing a Mortgage Work

A home purchase is considered an investment, and a robust one at that. Savvy owners are constantly looking for new ways to reduce debt, save money, pay less in interest, and ultimately build equity. Refinancing is one way to leverage your investment and do just that....

What Does It Mean to Refinance Your Home
What Does It Mean to Refinance Your Home

You can think of refinancing your mortgage as a debt redo. Essentially, you’ll swap out the existing loan for a new one - ideally with better terms and conditions. Only this time it could help you save money on high mortgage payments, rather than just borrow it....

Setting up the Utilities in My New House
Setting up the Utilities in My New House

All the tedious, time-consuming home closing documents have been signed, sealed, and delivered. Your belongings are packed into what seems like a million boxes and you have a solid plan to haul all your existing furniture to the new place. Just as your boxes and...

When Is My First Mortgage Payment Due?
When Is My First Mortgage Payment Due?

Navigating your way through a brand new mortgage loan can be a difficult task, especially for first time homeowners. After handing over a large sum of money for the down payment and closing costs, it’s important to pay attention to the timing of your first mortgage...

Newsletter

Don’t worry, we don’t spam

calculate your monthly mortgage payment

Related Topics

Helpful Links

Daily mortgage rate trends

Best mortgage lenders

First-time homebuyers programs by state

Loan limits by state

Types of mortgages

APR vs interest rate

Understanding PMI

Related Posts

THE TRUSTED PROVIDER OF ACCURATE RATES AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION