Mortgage Daily Logo
mortgage news from industry experts

Apps, Rates Rise

Except for a hybrid adjustable-rate loan program, mortgage rates rose. Reacting to last week’s decline in rates, 1003 application volume inched higher.

Rising 6 basis points from last week, the average 30-year fixed-rate mortgage was 5.20% in Freddie Mac’s Primary Mortgage Market Survey for the week ended July 23. The 30-year was 6.63% a year ago.

Mortgage rates tend to move with the yield on the 10-year Treasury note, which was 3.648% today, up from 3.573% during trading a week ago.

But don’t expect much movement in rates based on projections by Bankrate.com panelists for the week July 23 to July 29; nearly half expected rates to stay within 2 BPS of their current levels during the upcoming 35 to 45 days. The remaining panelists were evenly split — 27% each — over whether rates would rise or fall.

Freddie said the average 15-year fixed-rate mortgage was 4.68%, 5 BPS more than the previous week.

But the five-year Treasury-indexed hybrid adjustable-rate mortgage averaged 4.74% — 9 BPS better than a week earlier.

The one-year Treasury-indexed ARM was up 0.01% from a week ago to average 4.77 percent. The underlying index — the yield on the one-year Treasury bill — closed yesterday at 0.47%, lower than 0.50% seven days earlier.

A popular subprime ARM index, the London Interbank Offered Rate, was 0.96% yesterday, Bankrate.com reported. Last week LIBOR was 0.98%.

Borrower demand for ARMs decreased to 4.8 percent of applications tracked in the Mortgage Bankers Association Weekly Mortgage Applications Survey for the week ending July 17 from 5.0% the previous week.

Driven by a 4% rise in refinance applications, overall applications were up 3% on a seasonally adjusted basis, bringing MBA’s Market Composite Index to 528.9. The index was up 7% from a year ago.

Purchase applications were up 1%, and the refinance share rose to 56% from the prior week’s 55%.

Popular posts

How Long Does It Take to Refinance a Mortgage
How Long Does It Take to Refinance a Mortgage

So, you’re interested in refinancing your mortgage. Maybe you want some extra capital to do that home project you’ve always dreamed of, interest rates are nearing record lows, or you want to start consolidating debt. Regardless of the motivation behind the refinance,...

How Does Refinancing a Mortgage Work
How Does Refinancing a Mortgage Work

A home purchase is considered an investment, and a robust one at that. Savvy owners are constantly looking for new ways to reduce debt, save money, pay less in interest, and ultimately build equity. Refinancing is one way to leverage your investment and do just that....

What Does It Mean to Refinance Your Home
What Does It Mean to Refinance Your Home

You can think of refinancing your mortgage as a debt redo. Essentially, you’ll swap out the existing loan for a new one - ideally with better terms and conditions. Only this time it could help you save money on high mortgage payments, rather than just borrow it....

Setting up the Utilities in My New House
Setting up the Utilities in My New House

All the tedious, time-consuming home closing documents have been signed, sealed, and delivered. Your belongings are packed into what seems like a million boxes and you have a solid plan to haul all your existing furniture to the new place. Just as your boxes and...

When Is My First Mortgage Payment Due?
When Is My First Mortgage Payment Due?

Navigating your way through a brand new mortgage loan can be a difficult task, especially for first time homeowners. After handing over a large sum of money for the down payment and closing costs, it’s important to pay attention to the timing of your first mortgage...

Newsletter

Don’t worry, we don’t spam

calculate your monthly mortgage payment

Related Topics

Helpful Links

Daily mortgage rate trends

Best mortgage lenders

First-time homebuyers programs by state

Loan limits by state

Types of mortgages

APR vs interest rate

Understanding PMI

Related Posts

THE TRUSTED PROVIDER OF ACCURATE RATES AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION