Mortgage Daily Logo
mortgage news from industry experts

Servicers Struggle

Mortgage servicers saw their earnings sink as servicing portfolios and staffs contracted. But despite the disappointing results, the companies managed to increase the number of loans serviced per employee.

The average mortgage servicer had a portfolio of 36,769 loans in the first quarter, down from 44,799 loans serviced in the final quarter of last year, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association’s First Quarter 2011 Mortgage Bankers Performance Report. Respondents serviced 47,568 loans in the first quarter of last year.

MBA surveyed 174 servicers for the report, which was conducted with the cooperation of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Ginnie Mae.

On a dollar basis, the average servicing portfolio fell to $5.6 billion from $7.0 billion in the prior period and $7.1 billion a year earlier.

Loans owned and serviced by the same company accounted for 12 percent of servicer portfolios, while third-party servicing made up the other 88 percent of the portfolios.

The average number of loans serviced per full-time employee rose to 959 from the previous quarter’s 955 loans. The figure was 854 in the first-quarter 2010.

Average staff size fell to 101 full-time employees from 110 in the fourth quarter. Headcount stood at 121 a year earlier.

Servicers earned about $197 in revenues per loan serviced in the first quarter of this year on an operating basis, less than the $231 earned three months earlier but better than the $193 earned per loan in the first three months of last year.

Based on total net servicing financial income, per-loan income was $65, sinking from $138 in the prior period. It was also less than $97 a year prior.

First-quarter net reflected $500 per loan in servicing revenues and $235 per loan in related expenses.

Popular posts

How Long Does It Take to Refinance a Mortgage
How Long Does It Take to Refinance a Mortgage

So, you’re interested in refinancing your mortgage. Maybe you want some extra capital to do that home project you’ve always dreamed of, interest rates are nearing record lows, or you want to start consolidating debt. Regardless of the motivation behind the refinance,...

How Does Refinancing a Mortgage Work
How Does Refinancing a Mortgage Work

A home purchase is considered an investment, and a robust one at that. Savvy owners are constantly looking for new ways to reduce debt, save money, pay less in interest, and ultimately build equity. Refinancing is one way to leverage your investment and do just that....

What Does It Mean to Refinance Your Home
What Does It Mean to Refinance Your Home

You can think of refinancing your mortgage as a debt redo. Essentially, you’ll swap out the existing loan for a new one - ideally with better terms and conditions. Only this time it could help you save money on high mortgage payments, rather than just borrow it....

Setting up the Utilities in My New House
Setting up the Utilities in My New House

All the tedious, time-consuming home closing documents have been signed, sealed, and delivered. Your belongings are packed into what seems like a million boxes and you have a solid plan to haul all your existing furniture to the new place. Just as your boxes and...

When Is My First Mortgage Payment Due?
When Is My First Mortgage Payment Due?

Navigating your way through a brand new mortgage loan can be a difficult task, especially for first time homeowners. After handing over a large sum of money for the down payment and closing costs, it’s important to pay attention to the timing of your first mortgage...

Newsletter

Don’t worry, we don’t spam

calculate your monthly mortgage payment

Related Topics

Helpful Links

Daily mortgage rate trends

Best mortgage lenders

First-time homebuyers programs by state

Loan limits by state

Types of mortgages

APR vs interest rate

Understanding PMI

Related Posts

THE TRUSTED PROVIDER OF ACCURATE RATES AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION